What is personal information?
‘Personal information’ is information or an opinion about an identified individual, or an individual who is reasonably identifiable, whether the information or opinion is true or not and whether the information or opinion is recorded in a material form or not. Examples include an individual’s name, address, contact number and email address.
‘Sensitive information’ is a special category of personal information. Sensitive information includes health information and information about an individual’s race or ethnic origin, political opinions or associations, membership of a professional or trade association, membership of a trade union, religious or philosophical beliefs, sexual orientation or practices, criminal record, genetic information and some aspects of biometric information.
The kinds of personal information we collect and hold
We collect and hold a range of personal information in carrying out our business and functions. The kinds of personal information we collect and hold about you will depend upon the nature of our relationship with you and the circumstances of a collection, including whether we collect the information from you as a customer, supplier, distributor, contractor, job applicant or in some other capacity.
- if you are a representative from one of our corporate customers, we may collect your name, work address, work telephone number, business email address and any other information you provide to us when you make an inquiry, request information, submit an order, provide feedback or correspond with us;
- if you are the director of one of our corporate customers or distributors and you open a credit account with us, we will also collect information from you as part of verifying your identity; and
- if you deal with us in some other capacity, we may collect your name and contact details and any other information you choose to provide to us.
We may also collect details of the interactions you have with us.
We do not generally collect sensitive information and we will only collect sensitive information about you with your consent (unless we are otherwise required or authorised by or under law to do so).
If you are or become an employee, the handling of your personal information may be exempt from the APPs if it is directly related to your current or former employment relationship with us.
How we collect personal information
We collect personal information in a variety of ways, including:
- from you directly (such as when you interact with us in writing, electronically or by telephone);
- when you communicate with us through our websites (yakult.com.au or yakultknowledge.com.au) or on social media (such as through our LinkedIn, Facebook or Instagram pages); or
- from third parties such as our business partners or sales representatives.
The purposes for which we collect, hold, use and disclose personal information
We collect, hold, use and disclose personal information for a range of purposes including:
- to supply our products and services;
- to process your orders and communicate with you about those orders;
- to respond to your enquiries about our products and services ;
- to process payments made to us;
- for our administrative purposes and internal record keeping;
- to provide you with customer service and deal with any complaints or feedback you have;
- to perform research and analysis and improve or develop our products or services ;
- to manage our relationships with our customers, suppliers and contractors; and
- to consider job applicants for current and future employment opportunities.
We may use and disclose your personal information for other purposes required or authorised by or under law (including purposes for which you have provided your consent).
Disclosure of personal information to third parties
In conducting our business, we may disclose your personal information to third parties for the purposes outlined above. These third parties may include, where appropriate:
- our related companies (including Yakult Honsha Co., Ltd., and Yakult Australia, New Zealand)
- financial institutions for payment processing
- our contracted service providers, including
- delivery and shipping providers
- IT service providers
- marketing, promotional and market research agencies; and
- external business advisers (such as auditors and lawyers);
- in the case of a sale of our business (in whole or in part) to the purchaser (as an asset of the business); and
- if you are a job applicant, referees whose details you provide to us.
We may also disclose your personal information to other third parties and for other purposes where we are required or authorised by or under law to do so (including where you have provided your consent).
Overseas disclosures of personal information
Some of our service providers and related companies are located outside Australia. As a result, personal information collected and held by us may be transferred to recipients in other countries. In particular, we may disclose personal information to our related companies located in Japan and New Zealand.
How we hold personal information
We generally hold personal information in computer systems, including computer systems operated for us by our service providers. We take reasonable steps to protect personal information we hold from misuse, interference, loss, and unauthorised access, modification or disclosure. This includes taking appropriate security measures to protect electronic materials.
Access to and correction of your personal information
You have a right to request access to personal information that we hold about you and request its correction if it is inaccurate, out of date, incomplete, irrelevant or misleading. You may do so by contacting us at the details below.
We will respond to all requests for access to or correction of personal information within a reasonable period.
We will generally provide you with access to your personal information (subject to some exceptions permitted by law) but may charge an access fee to cover the cost of retrieving the information and supplying it to you.
Our website (Yakult.com.au)
All of the information collected about your visit to our website using cookies is not personal information, because we cannot identify you from it. For example, we may record your IP address, the date and time of your visit, the pages you viewed, the page you came from to get to our site, any documents you downloaded and the type of browser and operating system you used. If collected, this information will be used and disclosed by us in anonymous, aggregated form only, for purposes including statistical analysis and website development.
Please contact us (using the contact details at the end of this policy) if you have any concerns or complaints about the manner in which we have collected or handled your personal information. We will inquire into your complaint and respond within a reasonable period of time (usually 30 days). If you are not satisfied with our response, you can contact us to discuss your concerns or lodge a complaint with the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner (oaic.gov.au).
If you would like more information about the way we manage personal information, would like to request access to or correction of personal information that we hold about you, or wish to make a complaint, please contact us by either:
Email – firstname.lastname@example.org
Post – Locked Bag 1403, Dandenong South, VIC, 3164, Australia; or
Telephone – (03) 9238 4700